Top 10 Quotes Of 2008 – Its getting to be that time of year when we make top 10 lists, so here’s a list of the most memorable quotes of 2008.
The Top 10 quotes of 2008, as compiled by the editor of the Yale Book of Quotations:
1. “I can see Russia from my house!” — Comedian Tina Fey, while impersonating Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on “Saturday Night Live,” broadcast Sept. 13
2. “All of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years.” — Sarah Palin, responding to a request by CBS anchor Katie Couric to name the newspapers or magazines she reads, broadcast Oct. 1
3. “We have sort of become a nation of whiners.” — former Sen. Phil Gramm, an economic adviser to Sen. John McCain, quoted in The Washington Times, July 10
4. “It’s not based on any particular data point, we just wanted to choose a really large number.” — Treasury Department spokeswoman explaining how the $700 billion number was chosen for the initial bailout, quoted on Forbes.com Sept. 23
5. “The fundamentals of America’s economy are strong.” — John McCain, in an interview with Bloomberg TV, April 17
6. “Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are nonreviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.” — The Treasury Department’s proposed Emergency Economic Stabilization Act, September 2008
7. “Maybe 100.” — McCain, discussing in a town-hall meeting in Derry, N.H., how many years U.S. troops could remain in Iraq, Jan. 3
8. “I’ll see you at the debates, bitches.” — Paris Hilton in a video responding to a McCain television ad, August 2008
9. “Barack, he’s talking down to black people. … I want to cut his … off.” — the Rev. Jesse Jackson, overheard over a live microphone before a Fox News interview, July 6
10. (tie) “Cash for trash.” — Paul Krugman discussing the financial bailout, The New York Times, Sept. 22
10. (tie) “There are no atheists in foxholes and there are no libertarians in financial crises.” — Paul Krugman, in an interview with Bill Maher on HBO’s “Real Time,” broadcast Sept. 19
10. (tie) “Anyone who says we’re in a recession, or heading into one — especially the worst one since the Great Depression — is making up his own private definition of ‘recession.’ ” — commentator Donald Luskin, the day before Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy, The Washington Post, Sept. 14
And those are the the Top 10 Quotes Of 2008.